Sunday, August 4, 2013

Fabric Hoarding...

So, every seamstress who has been sewing for any period of time has an arsenal of fabric just waiting to be sewn up.  We use cute phrases, like "stash busting" to lessen our guilt over these sometimes hidden, always present, fabric hoards.  I am, sadly, no different.

This little piece of fabric has been in my hoard for about a year now.  


I loved it when I saw it, and it was made all that more enticing by the fact it was in the remnant bin at 70% off.  I had grand plans for this fabric - perhaps a bag or a pair of shorts.  Ultimately, it became at skirt.  New Look 6106 in size 12 to be exact.

After tracing out my pattern (which for me, is the absolute worst part of sewing), I finally cut into my oh so treasured fabric.  Now, I can't really explain why I love it so...probably because I think that the camo is a little rock and roll and I want to still be a little cool.
Here's a little pic of my pattern tracing.

The sewing came together quickly and was finished over the weekend.  The good news is that this is an easy pattern and I fit this all in between a 7.5 mile run, an 11 mile bike ride and back to school shopping with the girls (that about put me over the edge, but I'll save that story for another day).  The only modifications I made were to insert an invisible zipper vs. a lapped one and to bias bind the waistband facing.  I love how the skirt looks (though, my waist is always an issue and it's a little snug).  Next time, I will add bit of room on the waist and take out a little of the A-line.

See the bias binding?  I love finishing waistbands this way.

Did I mention that the skirt has pockets?  Lovely, utilitarian ones.  Great for holding one's phone while back to school shopping.
And, a few photos of my photogenic self (not!).  
I'm happy I finally cut into my camo fabric...so much better to wear than hoard!

No comments:

Post a Comment